Adama&Roslin
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A/R- the Mini

+3
LaurandBill_destinylove
Airlock
Garbo
7 posters

Go down

A/R- the Mini Empty A/R- the Mini

Post  Garbo Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:55 pm

This should be fun to do. Until January let's devote a week or less to watching an episode and within that time frame of watching we either write up thoughts on A/R, do a picspam, make avatars/sigs, make comments on the progression of Laura's clothing and/or hair (hahaha), etc.

So let's start with the mini. Watch it, review it, make your decision on what to contribute that is A/R and post here by Sunday. Very Happy

What does everyone think? From there we can do the same with each episode.
Garbo
Garbo

Back to top Go down

A/R- the Mini Empty Re: A/R- the Mini

Post  Airlock Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:59 pm

I really like this idea!! Very Happy

i will definitely contribute!!

so we watch the mini-series by Sunday?? *looks at watch* i can do that!

Can we post before Sunday or ON Sunday?
Airlock
Airlock
Admin

https://adamaroslin.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Garbo Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:01 pm

Airlock wrote:I really like this idea!! Very Happy

i will definitely contribute!!

so we watch the mini-series by Sunday?? *looks at watch* i can do that!

Can we post before Sunday or ON Sunday?

You can post anytime you want, but that will be the deadline and then from there we'll move into S1. Of course it's not like a rigid deadline, but just this week is devoted to the mini. And each person can contribute whatever is in their suitable tastes. Like, if you have computer skillz, post cool edited images or something related. Very Happy

And I want to give enough time so people can contribute as much as they like so hopefully a week for each episode should work (unless an episode is not necessarily very A/R related and then we could do two episodes a week for some).
Garbo
Garbo

Back to top Go down

Post  LaurandBill_destinylove Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:32 pm

(((Amanda)))

Great idea!
Unfortunately my computer still doesn't have a sound so I will not be able to watch the episodes and my mom keeps me busy so I cannot promise to write reviews but I will really try....

I love the minies, I watched them for a first time an year ago and had no idea there was a TV show..... When I found out, my frakking TV aired it in such a late hour that i couldn't watch the season....

Anyway- the miniseries have one big disadvantage- Bill's hairstyle is horrible and Laura's colour is.... um..... interesting.... (read is as frakking crazy Razz ) But that violet costume was such a beauty.....

OK, enough with the style... Laughing

The series are so dynamic that I really lost my breath while I was watching them for a first time. Now, an year later, I still have breathing problems when I watch them....

Oh, my mom asking why I'm on the computer in 11:30 PM and threatens to wake me up in 6 AM... I have to go....
LaurandBill_destinylove
LaurandBill_destinylove

http://laurandbillever.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PMV Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:03 pm

The miniseries is really great to watch now that we're five years away from it.

I really didn't pay much attention to Laura's hair or clothes. I really don't understand why everyone thinks it's so awful. I liked the hair. The light lavendar suit was a little fug, but I loved the deep wine-colored suit she wore when Bill made his "To Earth, bitches!" speech. Loved.

Bill's buzzcut on the other hand? That's a crime against Edward James Olmos.

Speaking of the mini, there's this wonderful community on LJ called fandom_bitches and on that community, there's a wonderful AU fic based on the miniseries called "The Price of Supremacy." In lieu of writing a fic of my own (Dragon*Con and my upcoming promotion unfortunately preclude this), I can offer an amazing fic that I read. And of course, there's katamaran's "Through A Glass Lightly," and she's already gotten to "33." But that's a topic for the upcoming "33" thread.

If I might make a suggestion, could we have separate threads for the characters on their own?

I will definitely be posting more about the mini later on.

PMV

PMV

Back to top Go down

Post  Airlock Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:10 pm

you want a Laura Roslin thread and a William Adama thread? Can do, i'll set it up now!

am i the only one who really loved the Adama buzzcut?? I much prefer his hair like that lol

Yeah to go back and watch the mini-series, i just think WHOA. I had nothing against Laura's hair/suit etc in Mini Series, i just sort of saw her hair during say like season 2 then looked back at the Mini Series and was like "what the ...?" lol because it changed so much!

I think i've read The Price of Supremity .... i would ask to see if i got it right, but it might give away what makes it slightly AU, and yes cannot forget Katamaran's fic, brilliant!
Airlock
Airlock
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Easterbunnyorc Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:09 pm

Great idea (((Garbo)))!

I probably won't manage to rewatch the mini this week, so I'll give you my rambling thoughts on what I can remember Wink

I'm with PMV on Laura's clothes: the lavender one's a bit of a no-go, but I wouldn't mind if the wine-coloured one made a reappearance.

Bill's haircut: affraid That's about all I can say about that one.
Laura's hair: Her hair's okay in the mini. What kind of bothers me though is that it looks very different from her haircut in the first episode of s1. Since we're led to believe that not that much time has passed between the mini and 33, I'm wondering what kind of conditioner Laura used to induce such rapid hairgrowth Smile

(((PMV))) I second your fic recs. Those two are amazing!

More later, maybe. For now: let's start the picspam:

(credit goes to http://black-celebration.net)A/R- the Mini Xxxx01643
Easterbunnyorc
Easterbunnyorc

http://www.beyondharrypotter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Airlock Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:39 pm

THE MINI

Adama and Roslin first meeting. The sparks are there, but i think from Bill, the spark is more "this woman is frakking annoying. I'll just placate her, put her down gently. Gods i can't wait until she is off my ship and never have to see her again" and the spark from Laura is "he is trying to placate me, what an idiot. I know he's probably thinking it. This infuriatingly stubborn man cannot see common sense!"

Later on, of course, he is disdainful that Lee is "taking orders from a school teacher". Enter Laura's hurt expression, quickly masked by the look of "he thinks i'm just that? well i'll show him". I think Laura really did care for Bill's opinion of her, and to get that kind of remark strengthened her resolve, made her a better president.

"We need to start having babies" -> wise words from a wise woman. They're accepting of eachother now. Although obviously reluctant, he is willing to cooperate with Laura.

A handshake to seal the deal of a united government and military. Shaky foundations for a friendship, definitely.

SO SAY WE ALL!!

A/R- the Mini Aaaaaaaaaaaa

^^^ banner i made based on the mini series.

oh and i like Bill's buzzcut, and that is ..... all. Very Happy hehe
Airlock
Airlock
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LaurandBill_destinylove Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:37 pm

Easterbunnyorc wrote:
Bill's haircut: affraid That's about all I can say about that one.

word! Laughing It just looks a bit.... boysh haircut... I don't know....
LaurandBill_destinylove
LaurandBill_destinylove

Back to top Go down

Post  Easterbunnyorc Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:04 am

Okay, so I actually managed to rewatch the miniseries, though I fast forwarded most of it except for the Laura & Bill scenes.

Since I don't have time to look for the necessary pics, you'll just get "spam" instead of "picspam" Wink

Am I the only one who thinks that Laura changes her clothes a lot in the mini? First she wears the lavender stuff on Caprica, on the transport to Galactica she wears the red ensemble, when she arrived on Galactica she's dressed in lavender again and on the way home it's the wine-coloured clothes again. So, either it's a massive error in filming continuity or she really likes to change her clothes.

When the pilot of the Colonial transport first refers to the ship as "Colonial One" she looks at him with a really shocked expression, like it hasn't really sunken in. I love that expression.

And then there's the look when she hears Adama refer to her as "a school teacher". It's a kind of "This should be interesting" expression.

When Bill and Laura talk near the end (the "The war is over" conversation), I swear he looks like he's ready to strangle her for a second: "Of course I'm listening to you, while I picture my hands around your throat, squeezing slowly..."

And (((Airlock))) I beg to differ: the haircut is soooo yuck, imo! But then again, I don't like the buzzcut on anyone.
Easterbunnyorc
Easterbunnyorc

http://www.beyondharrypotter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LaurandBill_destinylove Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:10 am

Easterbunnyorc wrote:Okay, so I actually managed to rewatch the miniseries, though I fast forwarded most of it except for the Laura & Bill scenes.

Since I don't have time to look for the necessary pics, you'll just get "spam" instead of "picspam" Wink

Am I the only one who thinks that Laura changes her clothes a lot in the mini? First she wears the lavender stuff on Caprica, on the transport to Galactica she wears the red ensemble, when she arrived on Galactica she's dressed in lavender again and on the way home it's the wine-coloured clothes again. So, either it's a massive error in filming continuity or she really likes to change her clothes.

When the pilot of the Colonial transport first refers to the ship as "Colonial One" she looks at him with a really shocked expression, like it hasn't really sunken in. I love that expression.

And then there's the look when she hears Adama refer to her as "a school teacher". It's a kind of "This should be interesting" expression.

When Bill and Laura talk near the end (the "The war is over" conversation), I swear he looks like he's ready to strangle her for a second: "Of course I'm listening to you, while I picture my hands around your throat, squeezing slowly..."

ahahhahahhahh Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing the squeezin g part was good! (((cathy))) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

About the clothes- I've always thought it is because of the change of her role. She came as only the Secretary of Education- a serious post, indeed, but not as serious as the President's. Have you ever seen a president with such a short skirt in such a sweet colour? I love the colour of her first suit by the way, but it's just not appropriate for a president..... it is too casual somehow... Rolling Eyes but she is sexy in it and really cute! sunny

PS. Why there is no "in love" icon here? SadSadSad
LaurandBill_destinylove
LaurandBill_destinylove

Back to top Go down

Post  brokencircle Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:14 am

I love the miniseries. It's great to watch it after you've seen season 4 and you know what happens.

And yes, I fastforwarded through most of the non A/R stuff. Lee and Kara? No, thank you.

I think EJO and MM look really young in the mini. I know it's only three/four years ago but they do seem a lot younger looking.

When I watched it, I didn't know that there would be a relationship but I knew that something was going to happen between them. The actors just played so well of each other and it was really good to see them move from 'dislike/mistrust' to 'respect and maybe friendship'. It's a lovely start to the series.

PMV, I love those fics as well. They're so wonderfully written.

brokencircle

Back to top Go down

Post  Garbo Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:11 pm

I swear I'm going to watch it. We have a hurricane coming at this moment and I've been busy getting ready so I have had no time to really do anything. But I can watch it today and come on here with thoughts. I'll post a thread about the next episode (although I can't guarantee I can post about it).
Garbo
Garbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:07 am

Ok. I am going to admit it. I fail. I did not rewatch the mini. Last week was the last week of uni and I had a test and some assignments so it kinda was a factor, but then I would have watched it more recently but I got Passion Fish in the mail and so was watching that... and cleaning... and of course lurking here and posting.... Wink But luckily for me I have a brilliant memory and I have rewatched it sometime this year in the lounge in a desperate (and ultimately futile) attempt to convert someone in my family to BSG so I am still going to try and comment.

I did not watch the miniseries first when I began to watch BSG. I had no idea that it was set before season one and so I got a good shock when I went to watch episode one of disk one of season one and it started with "Previously on Battlestar Galactica"! I wish I had had the chance to watch the mini unspoilt.

I don't think that there is really a vibe of A/R in the mini, which I like, and the same goes for about most of season one, because it makes their relationship that much more special. It was not something that was planned from the start like Kara/Lee was, but a relationship that grew and developed into what it is today. Their relationship in the mini was more as people in their respective positions of power trying to understand and figure out each other so they can find the best way to get what they want! As for "We're in the middle of a war and you're taking orders from a schoolteacher?!" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy And I think that someone already mentioned the line about making babies. Razz

I love it how Laura just takes command, despite the shock of learning she has terminal cancer and that she had just lost everyone she loved and cared about. Sad She saw that people needed help and she stepped up to the leadership role and I really think that that says so much about her right there. And I have to laugh at the Aaron Doral's reaction to her!

And the same goes for Adama... here he is expecting to retire! Thats got to be the worst retirement ever!
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum