Adama&Roslin
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Writers Support Group

+3
PMV
Airlock
DD Agent
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Writers Support Group Empty Writers Support Group

Post  DD Agent Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:36 am

Looking through everyone's little descriptions of themselves, it seems that there's a lot of writers or want-to-be writers here so far. I thought we could use this topic as a place to discuss how we're getting along with fanfiction or original fiction, and ask for help if need be.
DD Agent
DD Agent

Back to top Go down

Writers Support Group Empty Re: Writers Support Group

Post  Airlock Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:10 am

good idea DDAgent!

Also, if you want to advertise any new fanfiction or recommend any good ones, link them! (but only link ones you recommend and think are good).

and remember .... Tighclops is always watching you! cyclops
Airlock
Airlock
Admin

https://adamaroslin.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  PMV Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:04 pm

cyclops

PMV

Back to top Go down

Post  DD Agent Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:46 pm

I'm gonna be the first one to use the support group. I'm currently in the middle of writing a novel. I started it years ago (about four) and last year I managed to get through two drafts of a completed novel. However, I've gone through several life style changes since then and the novel is too dark for my happy mind to edit anymore. I've tried planning a new one, but my attempts so far are mixed up and jumbled.

Does anyone have any advice on planning things before writing them?
DD Agent
DD Agent

Back to top Go down

Post  Kincaid Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:30 pm

Hey DD,

When I tend to plan my joint novel, I like to listen to music. At the moment it seems to be Lisa Marie Presley, but can be something like Foo fighters... anway I'm digressing lol. When i listen to the music, I can see in my mind everything, my characters, the setting and as the music plays, depending on what it sounds like my mind will then create what happens, e.g if the music is fast paced and punchy, then it tends to be an action scene or if it's slow, then my character could be in anguish. That's how my stories tend to develop... then you'll be suprised how fast the words to write it just flow out of you...

Hope that helps in some way,
Hannah

Last edited by Kincaid on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kincaid
Kincaid

Back to top Go down

Post  DD Agent Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:39 pm

Thanks very much, I'm going to try that later. I'll post some of the results! bounce
DD Agent
DD Agent

Back to top Go down

Post  Garbo Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:51 am

Remember that your novel is your novel. That sounds strange, but many times we try to emulate other writers or even how people write, yet you are you and you can't change. Your novel(s) will evolve as you evolve as a person; each character will change, the story will change, sometimes even the setting. Go with it. Never write the beginning, or at least if you do, be willing to go back and change it (you're going to anyway).

It's about finding your voice and that sounds cliche, but it's true. Write what you know. Create characters that you know. Make your audience feel for your characters. A good book is one that the audience can relate to so narrow in on a crowd and go from there.

I find with myself that notes help. I also hand write a lot of things in a journal. Setting helps me too. The novel I'm working on right now is set in Louisiana so I like to go out on the levee, turn on jazz, and just let the book tell me what to write. Hehe, that sounds funny. Or rather, just let it spill out. You can edit later. Wink
Garbo
Garbo

Back to top Go down

Post  LaurandBill_destinylove Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:38 pm

Ah, I love Amanda's answere here! So true...
And the idea of the topic is great! Airlock, dear, where are you hiding? Very Happy
LaurandBill_destinylove
LaurandBill_destinylove

http://laurandbillever.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Airlock Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:28 pm

LaurandBill_destinylove wrote:Ah, I love Amanda's answere here! So true...
And the idea of the topic is great! Airlock, dear, where are you hiding? Very Happy

*falls out of fish tank cupboard* me? hiding? noooo of course not Wink

I'm just typing up my next paragraph of mine and Easter's joint story!!

Writers Support Group Detective-1
Airlock
Airlock
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DD Agent Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:32 am

I already gave a copy to Airlock to look over, but I was wondering if anyone else wouldn't mind reading over this script I have. Its the beginning of a film script, kinda psychological thriller, for a Summer competition. I'm not really looking for spelling mistakes or grammar (because I tend to catch those in the second draft), but overall a sense of how its coming along, whats expected of it and if people like it or not.

http://www.4shared.com/file/61152473/49167bb9/Caedo.html

Download for the manuscript is above, and if anyone does read it then could you post your comments, or send them to me in a PM either way. Very Happy

Oh, and thanks to everyone who gave me tips on planning my novel. I'm written them down and am planning to put them into usage when I've finished the project above (due date is the end of September!!!!).
DD Agent
DD Agent

Back to top Go down

Post  Garbo Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:09 pm

DD Agent wrote:I already gave a copy to Airlock to look over, but I was wondering if anyone else wouldn't mind reading over this script I have. Its the beginning of a film script, kinda psychological thriller, for a Summer competition. I'm not really looking for spelling mistakes or grammar (because I tend to catch those in the second draft), but overall a sense of how its coming along, whats expected of it and if people like it or not.

http://www.4shared.com/file/61152473/49167bb9/Caedo.html

Download for the manuscript is above, and if anyone does read it then could you post your comments, or send them to me in a PM either way. Very Happy

Oh, and thanks to everyone who gave me tips on planning my novel. I'm written them down and am planning to put them into usage when I've finished the project above (due date is the end of September!!!!).

1. Never give a camera shot. Never. Ever. Unless you are the director, don't do it. It is the biggest No No in writing a screenplay. How you then write, is describe something you want a shot of.

2. New paragraph for each shot (meaning you might have multiple paragraphs; this is how you inadvertently tell the director what you want focused on without calling the shots; however, the director can still do whatever he/she wants to). So you want a shot of the living room. New paragraph.

3. How important (and by important, I mean IMPORTANT) are details? What do the lilies do if anything? If they are not important to the plot, cut them. Aesthetic purposes don't work.

4. Is the police officer a vital character? If so, the moment he enters, give him character description, age, etc.

5. Cut unnecessary lines like "There, there." No reason for that.

6. Never let a character talk for more than three lines (four is pushing it). Have a new paragraph put in for a new shot, or someone else say something.

7. How are you going to prove this is a flashback? (to the audience)

The dialogue is pretty good (don't hesitate to cut... a lot); be wary not to get novel-istic although you're on a good path. Give character descriptions and age.

Otherwise, you're doing good and you certainly catch the audience with the first five minutes. And that's the goal. Very Happy I haven't finished it, but from what I can tell, you're off to a good start.

Screenplays are just very tricky and there's a method to writing them. Once you get big (like John Sayles) you're allowed to bend the rules. Until then, adhere to them as much as possible. Very Happy
Garbo
Garbo

Back to top Go down

Post  DD Agent Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:56 pm

Thank you so much! When I start the second draft I'm going to use your advice. Very Happy
DD Agent
DD Agent

Back to top Go down

Post  Kincaid Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:29 pm

For those of you who like to read... and write... I tried my hand at creating my own little forum, 'tis not very good but if anyone is interested to discuss book and your own work, feel free to join...

http://readerwritersupport.forumotion.net/forum.htm

cat cat cat *hoping cute cats compell you to join lol*
Kincaid
Kincaid

Back to top Go down

Post  DD Agent Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:45 pm

Thanks very much!
DD Agent
DD Agent

Back to top Go down

Post  Airlock Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:16 pm

ahhh ok i need some help! Very Happy

Right, any ideas of a good meorial speech??

A few chapters away in my story, i'm gonna need Adama to do a memorial speech and maybe Roslin to say a bit aswell. Adama is well known for his good speeches, so i need it to be in character and i'm stuck for ideas!

anyone care to give a few ideas? in my head, i've got him going off on a rant about something or other, if that makes any sense? They haven't found earth yet, but they've defeated their enemies, although there was alot of deaths of allies. The good cylons are gonna be there (although segregated because the humans would be wary). I was thinking of part of the speech being how they must sort of unite together now etc, but it needs to be good in order for them to actually take the speech to heart.

Any ideas are more than welcome, because i'm stuck!
Airlock
Airlock
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Airlock Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:46 pm

Yeah i'm double posting, but no i don't care! lol Wink

http://brokencircle22.livejournal.com/3009.html#cutid1

^^^^ frakkers you have GOT to read this!! Authored by Broken - this is a frakking hilarious crack!fic!! and let me tell you, the 2nd chapter is frakking hilarious aswell Wink Seriously, this had me laughing so much i choked!!

Broken and Garbo are both frakking crack!fic queens and they're both on this forum! mwahahah!! Very Happy

BTW you two, i'm waiting patiently for the 2nd chapter of your joint fic Wink no pressure!
Airlock
Airlock
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Easterbunnyorc Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:55 pm

Airlock wrote:Yeah i'm double posting, but no i don't care! lol Wink

http://brokencircle22.livejournal.com/3009.html#cutid1

^^^^ frakkers you have GOT to read this!! Authored by Broken - this is a frakking hilarious crack!fic!! and let me tell you, the 2nd chapter is frakking hilarious aswell Wink Seriously, this had me laughing so much i choked!!

Broken and Garbo are both frakking crack!fic queens and they're both on this forum! mwahahah!! Very Happy

BTW you two, i'm waiting patiently for the 2nd chapter of your joint fic Wink no pressure!

1. Second that!
2. Second that, too Razz!
Easterbunnyorc
Easterbunnyorc

http://www.beyondharrypotter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DD Agent Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:01 pm

Erm...some writing news from me. I entered this competition a while ago (a play competition). I got a call to say that of all the entries in the East of England, I was one of the 20 finalists! Isn't that brilliant? Smile
DD Agent
DD Agent

Back to top Go down

Post  Easterbunnyorc Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:30 pm

DD Agent wrote:Erm...some writing news from me. I entered this competition a while ago (a play competition). I got a call to say that of all the entries in the East of England, I was one of the 20 finalists! Isn't that brilliant? Smile

That's wonderful!
Congratulations!!! cheers
Easterbunnyorc
Easterbunnyorc

http://www.beyondharrypotter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DD Agent Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:19 pm

Thank you!
DD Agent
DD Agent

Back to top Go down

Post  LaurandBill_destinylove Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:13 am

Oh.... I'm becoming more and more annoyed by myself....

I just can'd do plot! I can write about one scene for years, I can describe the feelingsa of every person in that scene, but to move on to the next scene and to make a plot- impossible..... In the end everything is so stupid..... I started that fic about Ellen making Laura jealous, but I'm stuck..... I have in mind two scenes, but before them I have to do something.... and I can't. I can't jump from the beginning to the end, but I can't do anything else..... frak. scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch
LaurandBill_destinylove
LaurandBill_destinylove

Back to top Go down

Post  DD Agent Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:31 pm

Why don't you put a link to the fic here (from a site such as 4shared or something) so that maybe me or someone else could have a look at it and see what could connect it all together? Sometimes things need a fresh pair of eyes.

Do you have any other projects to work on at the moment, just to take a break from your fic?
DD Agent
DD Agent

Back to top Go down

Post  LaurandBill_destinylove Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:46 pm

To take a break sounds just what I need actually....

Thanks for the advice (((DD)))!

I changed the mood a bit and finished one other idea of mine I'm really sonfused by because it is something I haven't done before:

What if.... You failed, Sine Qua Non....

I hope there will be some criticism about it, because, except you, in the forums, noone in real life has even a slight idea of what fanfiction is.....
LaurandBill_destinylove
LaurandBill_destinylove

Back to top Go down

Post  DD Agent Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:26 pm

When the link has been finalised by the admin, I'll take a look at it. Very Happy
DD Agent
DD Agent

Back to top Go down

Post  LaurandBill_destinylove Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:16 pm

Oh, I totally forgot about the approval of the admin....

here is the link again, I hope it works this time:

http://survivalinstinct.net/viewstory.php?sid=1578

I'm really grateful for sites like this, because the only way to learn is by criticism... And what annoys me most is that people think that if you post a link with fanfic, you are just looking for approval and admiration, which is just... stupid. I want opinions, disagreement, mentioning of mistakes... But to review critically is also hard, judging by myself....

by the way, what happened with the competition?
LaurandBill_destinylove
LaurandBill_destinylove

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum